ABOUT DOWAGIAC

Dowagiac comes from the Potawatomi word dewje’og, meaning “fishing near home water.” With a population of 5,879 (2010 census), it was incorporated as a village in 1863 and as a city in 1877. The Dowagiac river flows from the stream which rises as the “Dowagiac Drain” in central Decatur Township in southern Van Buren County and is joined by the “Red Run” and the “Lake of the Woods Drain” near the southern edge of Hamilton Township. Dowagiac Woods Nature Center, a 235 acre woods located in Cass county, is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting Michigan’s exceptional natural habitats and endangered plants and animals. 

Dowagiac is served by Amtrak trains with daily service to Chicago and Detroit. The historic depot is located in the downtown area. The city also operates one of the oldest dial-a-ride services in Michigan, started in June 1975 with a fleet of 3 buses. The service extends to Southwest Michigan College. (Taken from Wikipedia)